Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hard Work at the Work Shop : The Model


THE TASK


Construct an exhibition quality physical model of a typical building assembly that includes the intersection of the two elements that you have researched. This model should be at scale of 1:1 or 1:2, be constructed of real of life-like materials and should demonstrate your knowledge of construction detailing.


THE RESEARCH

In response to the task given above, I have chosen the steel apex connections, intersecting with the construction of roofing purlins and sheeting as my 2 portal frames construction process.

Before actually building the model, I have done extensive range of researches. This researches follow the pattern of researches of a professional Construction Manager in undertaking alike projects.

My journey started with a visit to an Engineering Office in Geelong West.

Page-Green & Associates Pty. Ltd.
Consulting Engineers

5 Villamanta St, Geelong West
Phone (03) 52 221 899

email pga@pipeline.com.au

The Engineer gave me his design drawing for a portal frame project. However, he advised me to visit a steel fabricator to get more insights of the actual design of the rafter beams that used for the Apex connection.

p.s. I didn't do any visits to the architect as i can get all the drawings that i need from the Engineer.


The next step of my research is to visit a steel fabricator that often deals with long span beams and columns as required for the this project.
After looking through some site on the net and yellow pages, i finally found the Steel Fabricator i needed.

ATEX STEEL
Structural Steel Fabrications & Erect

2 Moon St. Moolap, Geelong 3221

Phone (03) 52482440

After some consultation, they understand the purpose of my visit and help me accordingly. They gave me a shop drawing for steel apex connection details that spans around 20 meters, which is long enough for the proposed ware house as stated in the assignment description.

I got couple of shop drawings from the fabricator , you can see an example of it.



This Shop drawing helps me greatly in designing my model, as i can just follow all the measurement and sizes that are already calculated in the drawing.

In addition to those visits above, i also have done some online research ( mainly for drawings and pictures) and shops visit ( various shops from Bunnings to Steel Manufacturer to buy the materials i needed for the model )



BUILDING THE MODEL

I have decided to use MDF timer as the base of my model. This will be used to replace the steel used for the beams, plate and cleats.

In designing my model, I strictly follow what it says in the shop drawing as i know this drawing has been consulted carefully between the Engineer the fabricator.
I measured all the elements according to the drawing to make sure it structurally sounds and be able to withstand all the load imposed to it when its being erected.

I worked closely with Des in the workshop in cutting and jointing the MDF, honestly speaking I dont think i would be able to make it without his help.

Once all the materials are cut into the right shape and measurement, I assembled them together using real sized bolts and some nails (this is just for the purpose of the assignment, as I am using mdf for my steel replacement)

These are some pictures of the process









After the structual elements have been put together, the next step is to put the roofing elements, such as the klip lock roof, insulation ( made out of foil and cotton balls ) and safety mesh. To give the real steel effect , i paint the moedl with greyish steel colour and used sealant to give the welding effect, as you can see below.








The last two pictures are the finished model, notice that i have done a little bit of alteration with the size of the purlins. The purlins supposed to be bigger and go over the cleats, whereas in my case, the top of the cleats are levelled with the top of the purlins. This is because the cost to get the right size of the pulins was just too high for me to afford.

1 comment:

Kinga said...

Great pictures, they show all the hard work put into constructing the model!